GLAAD UPSET WITH TYLER’S VMA WIN
While many fans were happy that Tyler, the Creator won Best New Artist at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards, GLAAD is upset with the network for rewarding the rapper. The organization said in a statement, “Rather than providing simply a larger platform, MTV and other networks should educate viewers about why anti-gay and misogynistic language has no place in the music industry today. Given Tyler’s history of such remarks, viewers and potential sponsors should refrain from honoring homophobia and in the future look to a more deserving artist.” The gay and lesbian activist group was outraged with Tyler’s lyrical content on his debut album, Goblin.
· AllHipHop.com reports Tyler the Creator and Odd Future’s sophomore album contains a combined total of over 213 anti-gay slurs.
T.I. RELEASED FROM PRISON!
Rapper T.I. has been released from an Arkansas prison — and is on his way to either a community living facility or home confinement … TMZ has learned.
T.I. was sentenced to 11 months behind bars after his drug possession arrest on the Sunset Strip back in September 2010 — an arrest that caused law enforcement officials to revoke his probation stemming from a federal gun conviction back in 2009.
Chris Burke, spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, tells us T.I. was released at 7:29 AM local time … and is “in transit” to begin the next leg of his sentence.
T.I. checked into prison on November 1, 2010 — and he was originally scheduled to be released on September 29.
BEYONCE’S 4 GETS SALES BOOST FROM VMA PERFORMANCE
Thanks to her impressive performance of “Love On Top” during Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards, Beyonce’s latest album, 4, has received a huge sales boost. MTV News reports the diva’s project is now back into the top 10 on the iTunes chart. In addition, the song that she showcased has soared into the top 5 on the iTunes singles chart. Even though 4 has shipped over one-million albums, the record has been her slowest selling effort to date.
· The singer is pregnant with her first child. There have been ideas for baby names going around including the unisex name: Brook Lynn Carter.
BEYONCE SETS TWITTER RECORD
We knew that Beyonce announcing her pregnancy during the MTV Video Music Awards was a big deal, but we didn’t expect the diva’s great news to break a Twitter record. According to AdAge.com, there were over 8,868 tweets per second regarding Beyonce’s bun in the oven. This breaks Twitter’s previous record of 7,196 tweets per second for the U-S women’s soccer team competing again Japan a few months ago. We’ll keep you posted with updates on the sex of the child.
BEYONCE WILL STILL PERFORM AT MJ TRIBUTE
Regardless of the little baby that’s developing inside Beyonce, TMZ reports the diva still plans to sing and dance during the Michael Jackson tribute concert on October 8th. Reps for the concert stated, “The pregnancy will not affect her performance.” The 29-year-old singer, who did not do any choreography during Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards, will perform via satellite.
LIL WAYNE’S PROJECTED ALBUM SALES ARE IN!
Ever since Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter IV dropped, we’ve all been wondering if he’ll sell a million copies during his first week. While it doesn’t look like Weezy’s new effort will achieve the same success as the third installment in the Carter series, he’s going to come pretty close. According to Billboard.com, the rapper’s newly released project is expected to sell between 700 to 850-thousand units. We’ll know the official amount next week when the Billboard chart comes out.
· These projections are nearly double what Jay-Z and Kanye West’s Watch The Throne sold during its first week.
GAME AUTHORS FIRST BOOK
If you’d like to understand the recording process and all the energy Game put into creating his latest album, fans will be able to get an in-depth look via the rapper’s first book, The Making Of Game’s The R.E.D. Album. The West Coast native said in a statement, “I wanted to give my fans a behind-the-scenes look of how my new album came to be.” He added, “These are my stories in my own words. This book is the only place where you’ll learn all the stories behind the music — how I got the beats, what inspired my lyrics and how the album was put together.” You can purchase The Making Of Game’s The R.E.D. Album digitally on Amazon.com now.
· The book will be available soon on iTunes and in paperback through Amazon.com.
WIZ KHALIFA MAKES FORBES LIST, BUYS HOME
It’s been a lucrative year for Wiz Khalifa. In case you didn’t know, the Pittsburgh native ranked number 11 on Forbes’ List Of Top Earning Rappers Of 2011. We caught up with the rapper to find out what his first big purchase was. In related news, his singles have a combines six-million in sales and his Rolling Papers album was recently certified gold.
FOXY BROWN AND MARY J BLIGE ALBUM?
During an interview with TheBoomBox.com, Foxy Brown revealed that she had been working on a joint album with Mary J. Blige that was titled Best of Both Girls. Even though the project was scrapped, the fem-cee spilled that they completed five songs that were supposed to play off Jay-Z and R. Kelly’s The Best of Both Worlds LP. Fox stated, “Mary’s like a big sister to me, and in the middle of recording those records, I lost all my hearing.”
· In addition, Brown was supposed to appear on Mary’s 2005 hit, “Enough Cryin.’” The verse that the singer rapped was actually written by Foxy.
DIDDY TO RELEASE AN “ASS” BOOK
According to the NYPost.com, Sean “Diddy” Combs is reportedly teaming up with Interscope Chairman Jimmy Iovine to release the book, Culo. Yes, that’s Spanish for ass. The moguls are working with photographer Raphael Mazzucco to create pages of “legendary photos of women’s backsides.” You can pick it up on November 22nd.
· Do you plan on buying the book?
KREAYSHAWN UPSET WITH INDUSTRY
Kreayshawn is having a rough week. Not only did the “Gucci Gucci” rapper have underage nude photos of her leak online, but she was also recently confronted by Rick Ross and Game for what she said about them in her songs. In a blog post titled “I’m Mad,” the fem-cee wrote, “All I wanted to do is create and have a good time. But, this is quickly forming into something I never would have signed up for from being accused of being racist to getting my pre-teen nudes leaked everywhere. I feel like this s**t ain’t my cup of tea.” She added, “Someone else want my job right about now? I’m just gotta sip lean and disappear. THIS GAME IS FAKE AS ALL HELL!”
MONICA ANNOUNCES NEW LIFE RELEASE DATE
According to Rap-Up.com, Monica has revealed the launch date for her upcoming album, New Life. The singer announced that the project, which includes production from Missy Elliott and Polow Da Don, will be available on November 8th. Led by her lead single, “Anything (To Find You),” the singer said of the disc, “The music will be a lot like Still Standing in the sense that it’s real and really about things that I’ve experienced, but it’s also from a very mature place.”
CHRISTINA MILIAN LANDS ACTING ROLE
Wanna know what Christina Milian has been up to? In addition to raising her daughter, Violet, the singer has landed a role in the upcoming ABC Family series, Maid In Miami. Deadline.com reports the actress will likely take the leading lady in the TV project, which follows a young maid who is also an aspiring singer. The show debuts early next year.
· Milian has also acted in Love Don’t Cost a Thing, Be Cool, Pulse, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past and Bring It On: Fight to the Finish.
JOJO TALKS “MARVIN’S ROOM” REMIX, DUET WITH DRAKE
We caught up with JoJo in L-A just a couple of days before Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards to talk about the buzz she created by remixing Drake’s “Marvin’s Room.” The singer told us what inspired the song (See Related Cut #5) and she also told us why she wants to duet with Drizzy (See Related Cut #6). In related news, the singer has issued “Disaster,” which is the first official single from her oft-delayed third album, Jumping Trains. Head to her official fansite to hear it now!
KATY PERRY AND ADELE DOMINATE THE 2011 VMAs
Who run the world? Girls! Adele and Katy Perry dominated the 2011 VMAs, picking up a collective seven Moonmen, including Video Of The Year. Perry beat out Beastie Boys and Bruno Mars, among others, to snag the Video of the Year award for her extravagant “Firework” video. The singer also grabbed awards for Best Collaboration and Best Special Effects for “E.T.,” her collaboration with Kanye West.
Adele’s sophomore album 21 continued her conquest of everything. While lead single “Rolling in the Deep” lost for Video of the Year, it grabbed Moonmen for Best Editing, Best Direction, Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography. Check out the complete winner’s list below! – nicole james
VIDEO OF THE YEAR:
1. Adele – “Rolling in the Deep”
2. Tyler, The Creator – “Yonkers”
3. Katy Perry – “Firework” — WINNER
4. Beastie Boys – “Make Some Noise”
5. Bruno Mars – “Grenade”
BEST NEW ARTIST:
1. Foster the People – “Pumped Up Kicks”
2. Wiz Khalifa – “Black and Yellow”
3. Tyler, The Creator – “Yonkers” — WINNER
4. Big Sean featuring Chris Brown – “My Last”
5. Kreayshawn – “Gucci Gucci”
BEST HIP-HOP VIDEO:
1. Wayne featuring Cory Gunz – “6’7″
2. Kanye West featuring Rihanna and Kid Cudi – “All Of The Lights”
3. Chris Brown featuring Lil Wayne and Busta Rhymes – “Look at Me Now”
4. Lupe Fiasco – “The Show Goes On”
5. Nicki Minaj – “Super Bass” — WINNER
BEST MALE VIDEO:
1. Cee Lo Green – “F*** You”
2. Eminem featuring Rihanna – “Love The Way You Lie”
3. Bruno Mars – “Grenade”
4. Kanye West Featuring Rihanna and Kid Cudi – “All Of The Lights”
5. Justin Bieber – “U Smile” — WINNER
BEST FEMALE VIDEO:
1. Adele – “Rolling In The Deep”
2. Katy Perry – “Firework”
3. Beyoncé – “Run The World (Girls)”
4. Nicki Minaj – “Super Bass”
5. Lady Gaga – “Born This Way” — WINNER
BEST POP VIDEO:
1. Adele – “Rolling In The Deep”
2. Bruno Mars – “Grenade”
3. Britney Spears – “Till The World Ends” — WINNER
4. Katy Perry – “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)”
5. Pitbull featuring Ne-Yo, Nayer & Afrojack – “Give Me Everything”
BEST ROCK VIDEO:
1. The Black Keys – “Howlin For You”
2. Foo Fighters – “Walk” — WINNER
3. Foster the People – “Pumped Up Kicks”
4. Mumford & Sons – “The Cave”
5. Cage The Elephant – “Shake Me Down”
1. Pitbull featuring Ne-Yo, Nayer & Afrojack – “Give Me Everything”
2. Chris Brown featuring Lil Wayne and Busta Rhymes – “Look At Me Now”
3. Kanye West Featuring Rihanna and Kid Cudi – “All Of The Lights”
4. Katy Perry Featuring Kanye West – “E.T.” — WINNER
5. Nicki Minaj featuring Drake – “Moment 4 Life”
BEST ART DIRECTION:
1. Adele – “Rolling In The Deep” — WINNER
2. Katy Perry featuring Kanye West – “E.T.”
3. Lady Gaga – “Judas”
4. Kanye West featuring Dwele – “Power”
5. Death Cab For Cutie – “You Are A Tourist”
1. Beyoncé – “Run The World (Girls)” — WINNER
2. Britney Spears – “Till The World Ends”
3. Lady Gaga – “Judas”
4. Bruno Mars – “The Lazy Song”
5. LMFAO featuring Lauren Bennett & Goon – “Rock Party Rock Anthem”
1. Adele – “Rolling In The Deep” — WINNER
2. 30 Seconds To Mars – “Hurricane”
3. Eminem featuring Rihanna – “Love The Way You Lie”
4. Katy Perry – “Teenage Dream”
5. Beyoncé – “Run The World (Girls)”
1. Adele – “Rolling In The Deep”
2. Katy Perry featuring Kanye West – “E.T.”
3. Eminem featuring Rihanna – “Love The Way You Lie”
4. 30 Seconds To Mars – “Hurricane”
5. Beastie Boys – “Make Some Noise” — WINNER
1. Katy Perry featuring Kanye West – “E.T.”
2. 30 Seconds To Mars – “Hurricane”
3. Adele – “Rolling In The Deep” — WINNER
4. Manchester Orchestra – “Simple Math”
5. Kanye West Featuring Rihanna and Kid Cudi – “All Of The Lights”
BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS:
1. Katy Perry featuring Kanye West – “E.T.” — WINNER
2. Linkin Park – “Waiting For The End”
3. Manchester Orchestra – “Simple Math”
4. Kanye West featuring Dwele – “Power”
5. Chromeo – “Don’t Turn The Lights On”
BEST VIDEO WITH A MESSAGE:
1. Pink – “F****** Perfect”
2. Lady Gaga – “Born This Way” — WINNER
3. Katy Perry – “Firework”
4. Eminem featuring Rihanna – “Love The Way You Lie”
5. Rise Against – “Make It Stop (September’s Children)”
6. Taylor Swift – “Mean”
AND IF YOU MISSED THE SHOW, HERE’S THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NIGHT
RIHANNA GETS ANOTHER WAX FIGURE
Rihanna’s ravishing likeness has been replicated in wax yet again. This time with a revamped version of her original Madam Tussauds wax figure that debuted in Berlin, today (Aug. 29).
Rihanna’s new statue mimics Rihanna’s look from her 2010 feature in David Guetta’s music video for ‘Who’s That Chick (Day Version).’
RiRi’s replica wears brightly colored makeup, ruffled pastel leotard with pink latex leggings held up by a guarder belt, red patent-leather heels and her iconic, half-buzzed red coiffure. She’s even sporting Rihanna’s real tattoos!
The new Berlin wax figure is a ‘Loud’-er version of Rihanna’s red carpet-ready debut statue in Washington, D.C. Rihanna’s remake joins recently waxwork doppelgangers Justin Bieber, Alicia Keys and Jennifer Lopez at Madame Tussauds’ famous museums.
We think the house of Tussauds really got it right this time! What do you think of the Rihanna replica?
TRACKLISTING: J. COLE – ‘COLE WORLD: THE SIDELINE STORY’
Amidst all the VMA madness, J. Cole revealed the tracklisting for his Roc Nation debut Cole World: The Sideline Story as part of his “Any Given Sunday” series. Due September 27, the 18-track album features appearances from Missy Elliott (“Nobody’s Perfect”), Drake (“In the Morning”), Trey Songz (“Can’t Get Enough”), and his mentor Jay-Z, who came through at the last minute with a verse on “Mr. Nice Watch.” Fans will recognize his popular mixtape cuts “Lights Please” and “In the Morning,” while his first single “Work Out” is included as a bonus track. Peep the starting lineup.
J. Cole – Cole World: The Sideline Story
2. “Dollar and a Dream III”
3. “Can’t Get Enough” feat. Trey Songz
4. “Lights Please”
6. “Mr. Nice Watch” feat. Jay-Z
7. “Cole World”
8. “In the Morning” feat. Drake
9. “Lost Ones”
10. “Nobody’s Perfect” feat. Missy Elliott
11. “Never Told” (prod. by No I.D.)
12. “Rise and Shine”
13. “God’s Gift”
15. “Cheer Up”
16. “Nothing Lasts Forever”
17. “Work Out”
18. “Daddy’s Little Girl”
BEYONCE ANNOUNCES PREGNANY TO THE WORLD DURING VMAs
After performing at the 2011 VMAs, Beyoncé Knowles unbuttoned her sparkly jacket and rubbed her belly — announcing her pregnancy to the world. The camera then cut to Jay-Z and Kanye West in the audience and their over-the-top jubilant reaction.
Married to Jay for three years, the star has said time and time again that she planned on having a baby by the time she was 30; well, B turns 30 early next month.
The power couple tied the knot back in 2008 in a private ceremony at Jay-Z’s New York apartment, and since then, there have been years of pregnancy rumors that they’ve shot down.
In June, the singer told CNN interviewer Piers Morgan that she wanted to get pregnant.
“I feel like a woman. I feel like I’m very aware of who I am. I feel great and I feel like 30 is the ideal age [to start a family], because you’re mature enough to know who you are and to have your boundaries and your standards, and not be afraid, too polite — but you’re young enough to be a young woman,” she said. “I’m so looking forward to it.”
The singer added, “I always said I’d have a baby at 30. But I also said I’m going to retire at 30. … Only God knows.”
In that same interview, Beyoncé talked about her husband.
“Jay and I have kind of made a decision that we want to be known for our music and not our relationships or scandals. But he is amazing,” she said. “I definitely had a very natural friendship and connection with him. We’ve been together for a very long time and I’m very happy. Love is the foundation of everything, everything I do. My music is inspired by love — from my family, my husband, my sister.”
No word on when the baby is due. – Kelley L. Carter
LIL WAYNE DISSES JAY-Z ON THA CARTER IV
Have you heard Lil Wayne’s newly leaked track off Tha Carter IV? Apparently, there’s a verse in “It’s Good,” which features Drake and Jadakiss, that’s got people thinking Wayne is taking aim at Jay-Z. Weezy spits, “Talkin’ ‘bout baby money, I gotcha baby money / Kidnap your bitch get that how much you love your lady money / I know you fake, ni*** / Press your brakes, ni*** / I’ll take you out, that’s a date, ni***.”
· Tha Carter IV is in stores and online on Monday.
· Hov initially dissed Birdman in “H.A.M.”
· Jada took to his Twitter account to let fans know that when he recorded his guest verses, Wayne’s part was not on the track. He denies any involvement in dissing Jay-Z.
· Do you think Jay will respond back?
LIL WAYNE ADDRESSES THE “IT’S GOOD DISS”
After lots of speculation that Lil Wayne took a lyrical jab at Jay-Z on his newly leaked tune, “It’s Good,” Vibe.com reports the rapper has vaguely responded about his intentions. Weezy explained, “I know there won’t be any repercussions behind what I did.” He added, “I know for a fact, music is about perception. You can’t do anything but perceive what you hear. I know that for a fact. So I cant ever be upset about someone’s reaction.”
· If thousands of fans perceived that Wayne was dissing Jay, don’t you think the rapper should correct those assumptions if they are wrong?
LIL WAYNE’S “SHE WILL” DEBUTS ON BILLBOARD 100
Lil Wayne’s latest single, “She Will” featuring Drake, has debuted at the number three spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. In addition, the song, which is lifted from Weezy’s upcoming Tha Carter IV, sold an impressive 225-thousand downloads and currently sits on top of the digital chart. This marks Wayne’s highest opening for a single ever.
CHRIS BROWN PREDICTED BIG SEAN’S SUCCESS
Before Big Sean even released “My Last,” Chris Brown was one of the first people who saw how talented he is. Back when Breezy was promoting his F.A.M.E. LP, the singer predicted that the rapper was bound to blow up. Looks like Chris was accurate because the G.O.O.D. Music artist recently earned his first MTV Video Music Award nomination for Best New Artist. Tune in on Sunday at 9 PM to see if Big Sean wins at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards.
5 REASONS LINDSAY LOHAN SHOULD LET PITBULL TAKE HER TO VMAs
Pitbull has made a big wet whopper of a proposal to Lindsay Lohan on Univision. He’s proposed that, instead of battling him in court over what she believes to have been an unflattering, “derogatory” name-check on his Top 40 electro ballad “Give Me Everything,” she should just let him take her to the VMAs.
Now, the VMAs can be an embarrassing place to try out new & zany things, and we wouldn’t recommend this to just anybody. But hear us out, girl:
You need to let Pitbull take you to the VMAs.
5. Everybody and their mother may have interpreted Pitbull’s lyric as “I got locked up like Lindsay Lohan” — as in, jail time. But you heard the man:
“When I mentioned Lindsay Lohan in the record, it was a really positive message,” he told Univision. “When I say ‘I got it locked up’…that means you run that neighborhood. When I say ‘I got it locked up like Lindsay Lohan,’ I say she runs her world, I’m trying to run mine.”
See? He didn’t mean it in a bad way! He may have even implied you have street cred. Jesus.
4. Pitbull is a hot commodity in many circles. Perhaps not in your coked-out, fag-hagged Venice Beach circle, but try to de-narrow your mascara vision for a second here. If this was anywhere south of the border, girls of much finer social standing than yourself would bepaying Pitbull to wear them as arm candy; even la Narcomami, we bet, would expose herself to the world (and the feds) for a chance to back up the Bull at Nokia Theatre this Sunday.
3. You took your mom to Kim Kardashian’s wedding. (See photo, right.) What’s more, your mom is Dina Lohan. Are you really going to try and tell Pitbull he’s unworthier than your mom/Dina Lohan right now?
2. In the lawsuit, you describe yourself as “a professional actor of good repute and standing in the Screen Actors Guild.” (No wonder Pitbull originally thought the legal docs were an “ironic” practical joke.) But let’s get real here: Your reputation is in need of some mending. And your attempts at a music career, if you can call it that, have been even uglier. Pitbull, on the other hand, has like 50 songs on the FM dial at any given moment: Dude’s bigger than J.Lo when it comes to the Latino-Cali radiopop boom (so hot right now!). Set aside the botox-inflated ego and realize: This is your chance to be awesome again. Like, “Parent Trap” awesome.
1. Really? You’re going to stand up (and, uh, sue) the guy who somehow just rhymed your unrhymable name with “I’m tip-toeing to keep blowing”? Just try not to love him:
Do it for the people, Lindsay! Or, if not, at least so the VMAs don’t suck quite as horrifically as last year. We patiently await your reply, the best way you know how.
DMX MISSES AALIYAH
DMX is recalling the time he spent with Aaliyah before she passed away in a plane crash ten years ago. The rapper, who collaborated with the singer on “Back in One Piece,” told Billboard, “She was easy to talk to and down to earth. Aaliyah made you feel comfortable, with her and with yourself. That’s one hell of a combination.” He added, “Half these chicks that are doing it right now wouldn’t be doing it. Aaliyah would be on top. As far as I’m concerned she’s still on top.”
· The duo also acted alongside each other in 2000’s Romeo Must Die.
THE DREAM ISSUES 1977 TRACKLIST
According to his official website, The Dream has released the tracklist for his upcoming free album, 1977. The 11-track project includes two guest features with Big Sean and Casha. Fans can expect the disc to be released under his real name, Terius Nash, on August 31st. Will you be downloading?
1. “Wake Me When Its Over”
2. “Used To Be”
3. “Long Gone”
4. “Ghetto” feat. Big Sean
5. “Wedding Crasher”
6. “Rolex” feat. Casha
7. “Silly” Introducing Casha
8. “1977 (Miss You Still)”
9. “Wish You Were Mine”
11. “Form Of Flattery”
ARETHA HONORED BY ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
According to SingersRoom.com, Aretha Franklin will receive a week long tribute from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The legendary singer will be honored with a special concert series beginning October 31st and ending on November 5th. The diva said in a statement, “I’m thrilled and delighted to be honored. I’m really looking forward to being there.” The 16th annual American Music Master series will play out in Cleveland. Visit Aretha’s official website to learn more.
· Aretha was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 24 years ago.
· Ticket information will be announced in the coming weeks.
RIHANNA’S REP DENIES J COLE SEX TAPE?
Before the perverts could get excited, Rihanna’s rep has squashed rumors that Ri Ri starred in a sex tape with J Cole. Porn company Hustler initially claimed that the pop star was seen in an “intimate video,” but her camp told RadarOnline.com, “Rihanna is surprised because there is no sex tape.” J Cole has yet to confirm or deny the news, we’ll keep you posted.
GLASSES MALONE LEAKS “CALL ME T.I.”
To get fans more excited about his upcoming album, Beach Cruiser, Glasses Malone has leaked a new song called “Call Me T.I.” The T.I.-dedicated track will appear on the Young Money rapper’s long-delayed album, which arrives on August 30th.
· His Beach Cruiser album took over four years to make.
GAME’S R.E.D. ESTIMATED SALES ARE IN!
According to HitsDailyDouble.com, Game’s newly issued R.E.D. Album is projected to sell between 90 and 95-thousand copies during its first week. His long-awaited fourth studio effort will more than likely take the top spot on the Billboard 200 chart, unless Jay-Z and Kanye West’s Watch The Throne LP has another big sales week. We won’t know until Wednesday where R.E.D. will land, but fans can purchase the effort online and in store now.
· His previous album, LAX, debuted at number two back in 2008. The disc sold over 238k during its opening seven days.
EMINEM REUNITES WITH D-12 IN IRELAND
According to HipHop-N-More.com, Eminem and D-12 shared the same stage during Slim Shady’s headlining show in Northern Ireland. The rap group and Em ran through hits including “Fight Music” and “Purple Pills” at the Tennents Vital 2011 event. Head over to TennentsVital.com to watch footage now!
· Were you under the impression that Eminem and D-12 were feuding?
BRUNO MARS COLLABORATION ON CARTER IV DELUXE EDITION
According to Rap-Up.com, Lil Wayne has recruited Bruno Mars to appear on a new record called “Mirror.” The song is reportedly featured on the deluxe edition of the rap mogul’s much hyped Tha Carter IV. The rapper name checks the late Michael Jackson on the personal tune. Be sure to check it out now and download Tha Carter IV at midnight, immediately following Wayne’s performance during the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards.
P!NK LIKES BASKETBALL WIVES TOO
Earlier in the week, Adele told a sold out crowd in Las Vegas about her love for Vh1’s hit show Basketball Wives, and now, another pop star is echoing those same sentiments. P!nk took to her Twitter account to answer a few questions from some fans, and one of those was “what TV show do you like the most.” Well the pop star answered, “Basketball Wives,” and that she “can’t help” watching it. Read more at Twitter.com/Pink.
SEXINESS WITH A GUN hit the big screen tonight…I’m talking about ‘COLOMBIANA’…hits theaters nationwide today…like as in Friday! Who going? Is is worth checking out…well, check out my review and find out!
See more at iWatchMike.com
ZOOKEEPER was a cute movie people. Definitely something you can take the whole family to see. It’s pretty much about this guy – Griffin (Kevin James) who thinks he’s met the love of his life…one day he decides to propose to her…what does she say? NOOOOOOOO! Which totally devastates him. A couple of years go by and one night at zoo party (see, he’s a zookeeper) while receiving an award – he sees in the crowd…Stephanie (Leslie Bibb) the girl who dumped him!!! Now all the feelings start coming back…and this is where it gets a little crazy. While Stephanie is telling her b/f the real deal on why it didn’t work…and after seeing him that night – – – she still has feelings…GUESS WHO HEARS THIS? The animals. Yep – the animals decide to put a plan into action and help Griffin get the girl of his life…teaching HIM how to get a girl. Oh yeaahhh! (LOL) But…there’s one slight problem…Griffin doesn’t know the animals can talk…well, not yet. Once the animals start talking – – – it gets crazy.
REMEMBERING AALIYAH 10 YEARS LATER
I still remember the night when I heard the news about Aaliyah’s plane crash in 2001. I was doing weekends at KTHT HOT 97.1 in Houston at the time. I believe it was a Saturday night, we were mixing… just looked at the calendar, it was a Saturday. I remember this night so well because; one, I’m pretty sure this was the first death I ever announced on-air and two, I was a fan. I didn’t know how to tell the listeners, we went over how to do the break and then the time came. The phone calls poured in – some people were crying asking: “why did she get on that plane?” “are they sure it’s her?”… others remained in disbelief, some thought it was a joke. As I’m typing this, I’m thinking about not just her death, but the many I’ve announced in my career… it’s not easy to do. So many people, emotions and more involved, especially when you knew them. But that night; that moment… will stay with me forever. She was another person/artist I never got to meet and who I would have loved to interview and gotten to know.
Today, many people in media will be doing tributes to honor her music and her life. Some will do it for the love of her; some for the attention or publicity. To each their own.
Every year on the Anniversary of her death, since I’ve been on-air, we’ve done some sort of tribute. This year will be no different (except the fact I don’t have a “full-time” slot) Here’s Dj Rockwell’s Tribute to Aaliyah, one of the best of all time.
Thanks for reading,
R.I.P. AALIYAH “Baby Girl” HAUGHTON
CLICK THE PLAYER OR LINK BELOW TO LISTEN OR DOWNLOAD THE MIX
CELEBRITIES REMEMBER AALIYAH
Tonight, BET will air their upcoming special, Aaliyah: One In A Million, to mark the 10th anniversary of the tragic passing of the R&B singer. It’s hard to believe that she was killed a decade ago in a plane crash. We caught up with famous faces like Johnny Gill, Jordin Sparks and others to see what they remember most about the singer who Timbaland and Missy Elliott affectionately called “Babygirl.” BET’s Aaliyah: One In A Million airs tonight (8/25) at 8 PM Eastern and Pacific.
· Ciara told Billboard.com, “[Aaliyah] was true to who she was and she didn’t seem to care about it. The core of her art to me is heavily, heavily urban based. When an artist’s music is so urban based, sometimes people like to take risks with artists like that. When you think about it, it really is pop, it really is cultural and that’s the one thing that I thought was cool about her music is that it never felt like she was trying to reach across or do anything more than just keep that cool, soulful, heavy urban core about it.”
· While promoting the collector’s edition of her debut album, songs in A minor, Alicia Keys told Rap-Up.com that “If I Ain’t Got You” actually “came together right after Aaliyah passed away. It was such a sad time and no one wanted to believe it. It just made everything crystal clear to me—what matters, and what doesn’t.”
· Ginuwine, who was a close friend of the late singer, told TheBoomBox.com that if she were still alive today, she’d be serious competition for Beyonce. The R&B crooner believes “Aaliyah was in a class by herself, if Aaliyah were still here, she and Beyonce would be neck and neck. Everyone should aspire to be someone great… Aaliyah was one of the great ones.”
LIL WAYNE ISSUES “HOW TO LOVE” VIDEO
According to his official website, Lil Wayne has leaked the visual to his latest single, “How to Love.” In what is sure to be argued as his best video yet, Weezy narrates the troubled life of woman who prostitutes herself and contracts HIV. He also shows how her pitfalls could have been avoided. Check it out now! In addition, Tha Carter IV arrives on Monday orrrrr if you found the leak, it’s out NOW!
KANYE, JAY-Z GO GOLD WITH WTT
Jay-Z and Kanye West’s collaborative effort, Watch The Throne, remained at the number one spot on the Billboard 200 chart. The disc also achieved gold status after selling an additional 177-thousand copies, bringing the total tally over 613k. Elsewhere on the chart, Hova’s wife, Beyonce, sits at the number nine spot with her latest album, 4. The singer’s project sold another 25-thousand units and has now amasses sales over 679-thousand.
· Could Game’s R.E.D. Album will de-throne Watch The Throne for the number one spot?
BEYONCE ANNOUNCES NEXT SINGLE OFF OF 4
According to All Access, Beyonce has revealed what the next single off her latest album, 4, will be. The singer has decided to shoot a video for fan favorite, “Party” featuring Andre 3000. The Kanye West-produced song will impact radio on Tuesday. Hmmm, perhaps this will be the tune that Beyonce will perform during the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. Be sure to see when the show airs Sunday night at 9 PM Eastern!
· There are whisper that Bey has already shot the video for two other stand out tracks, “End of Time” and “Countdown.”
BEYONCE TO PERFORM AT VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS
MTV has just that announced Beyonce has joined the official line-up of performers at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. The singer, who is up for three nominations this year including Best Female Video and Best Choreography, joins previously confirmed acts including Adele, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Pitbull, Jeesie J and Young The Giant. In addition, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Zoe Saldana, Kevin Hart and Victoria Justice will appear on the show as presenters. Be sure to tune in to the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards when they air live from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday at 9 PM (Live Eastern/Tape delayed Pacific).
TREY SONGZ WANTS TO DO JOINT LP WITH DRAKE
According to TheSource.com, Trey Songz has caught the joint-album itch and revealed who he’d like to do a collaborative LP with. The singer stated, “When thinking along the lines of that, Drake is the first person that comes to mind that I am that musically comfortable with in that space. He is a friend of mine as well, and I think we can pull something off like that could sound very authentic.” As far as when this idea will become a reality, Trigga won’t put a deadline on it. He explained, “It has to be something that you are definitely going into for music’s sake.”
· TIDBIT: In related news, Trey is working on the follow-up to last year’s Passion, Pain & Pleasure.
KANYE TO HEADLINE CALL OF DUTY XP
According to Rap-Up.com, Kanye West has agreed to perform during Activision’s first-ever Call of Duty XP celebration. The event will attract over six-thousand video gamers who are competing for one-million dollars in a Call Of Duty tournament. The rapper is expected to take stage and perform new and old hits. Tickets are available for 150 dollars with all proceeds going to the Call of Duty Endowment fund.
· The event takes place over Labor Day weekend in Los Angeles.
COULD WINEHOUSE HAVE BEEN ON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS?
Toxicology results have shown that Amy Winehouse had no illegal drugs in her system when she passed away on July 23rd. But what about prescription drugs? TMZ is reporting that a “source close to the family” refused to say yay or nay about those when asked. The site also reports that there are a number of drugs that you can get legally, such as OxyContin and morphine, which “contain the opiates similar to heroin.” We’ll keep you posted as we learn more.
· Toxicology did reveal that alcohol was present at the time of death.
WHO TOOK THE WINEHOUSE FOUNDATION NAME?
British paper The Sun caught up with the guy who registered the name Amy Winehouse Foundation before the fallen singer’s dad, Mitch, could. His name is Martin McCann, and the West Londoner is demanding an apology from Mitch for putting “pressure” on him to sell before he even considers making a deal. He also added that Amy’s family needs to “detach” themselves from emotion and begin to “think business.” Mitch said recently that he’s had to return donations for the foundation as he has nowhere to put the money since the name is taken.
ADELE KICKS BACK WITH BASKETBALL WIVES
So what does Adele do when her bandmates are busy partying while they’re out on the road and she doesn’t feel like going out? Well apparently, she watches Vh1. According to the L-A Times, the singer joked while on stage in Las Vegas earlier in the week that her band was “out all night getting drunk,” and that she was holed up in her room “like a true rock star” watching Basketball Wives. Apparently, Adele’s been keeping it pretty mellow since going back out on tour after having to cancel a slew of dates with throat problems earlier in the year.
Missy Elliott has scored 37 VMA nods and has won six awards.
Aerosmith have received 36 VMA nominations and won ten.
U2 have received 32 VMA nods and five wins.
R.E.M. have scored 31 VMA nods and seven wins.
The late Michael Jackson received 31 VMA nominations and won 11 Moon Men.
Bette Midler and Dan Aykroyd hosted the first VMA show in 1984.
I decided to do a little work from the couch today. While sitting here, I figured I could knock out a Netflix movie from my Q…what to watch? How about…BRAIN DEAD. Hmmmm, BRAIN DEAD. What can I say about this one. A pretty interesting movie. (LOL) REAALLLL interesting. The movie starts off with 2 guys fishing…all of a sudden…a small space meteorite slams into one of the guys heads…within seconds – he turns into a space zombie and rips the other guys head in half! Ohh shit! Now there’s a space slug…who using this human body as a host…and this host…likes to eat human brains. (LOL)